The 4th scientific workshop presented by the 19th URSI-C in Japan
1. Convener: Dr. Makoto Taromaru, ATR Wave Engineering Laboratories.
2. Date/time: 13:00 - 17:30, 22-Oct.-2004
3. Venue: Yufugo-kan, a resort house of Mitsubishi Electric, Yufuin, Japan
4. Registration fee: Free
5. Listed attendees: 25 persons
6. Local arrangement: Information Technology R & D Center, Mitsubishi Electric.
7. Session title: “Radio Waves and Challenge to the Shannon Limit”
8. Presentation: 60 min including Q&A for each speaker
(a) “History of Digital Mobile Communications,” Prof. Yoshihiko Akaiwa, Kyushu University
(b) “Enlargement of Mobile Communications Capacity with Interference Suppression and Multipath Separation,” Prof. Hiroshi Suzuki, Tokyo Institute of Technology
(c) “Studies of New Modulation Scheme to Improve Spectrum Efficiency,” Mr. Gen-ichiro Ota, Panasonic Mobile Communications.
9. Reception and Lamp Session
(a) “Evolution Theory Found in Cellular Telephone Technologies,” Dr. Kenji Itoh, Mitsubishi Electric.
(b) “Digital Radio Communication Theory that I Have Learnt through Radio Amateur,” Dr. Makoto Taromaru, ATR Wave Engineering Laboratories.
10. The steering committee meeting took place from 09:00 to 10:00 on 23-Oct.-2004.
11. Concluding Remarks
This scientific workshop was organized based on the keyword “Radio Waves and Challenge to the Shannon Limit.” As this keyword, the specialists of modulation and demodulation were invited. The meeting was very successful with 25 attendees and the discussions after each presentation were well activated. Mr. Ota’s presentation especially, in which he says he can make the bandwidth half by his modulation scheme, made the discussions of everybody hot as the Spa of Yufuin is.
This workshop was held under the cosponsorship of IEEE APS, MTS, and VTS Japan Chapters.